LiveScribe your planners and notebooks

Posted January 26, 2012 by
in Planning Tips | 8 comments »

I first encountered Livescribe — the nifty digital pen-recorder that, via a special sort of paper, enables you to take notes and record things at the same time, then replay certain snippets by tapping on specific words — a few years ago. (If you used it during class and tapped your “test Friday” note, for example, you’d skip straight to the part where your professor announced there’d be a test on Friday covering such-and-such topics.)

A friend who’s a grad student and gadget geek had an early version; as a freelance writer, I was intrigued. There are few things more tedious than transcription, and you don’t always need to transcribe every part of an interview — just the parts that are relevant to your subject. However, I conduct a lot of my interviews on the phone, and the idea of having to do them on speakerphone just so I could use Livescribe didn’t seem terrifically practical. And though I don’t recall LiveScribe paper being of poor quality, the pen-and-paper experience is important to me, and I like being able to choose which tools I use for a particular project.

But there are plenty of others, I’m sure, who’ve come to use and love Livescribe. One of our survey respondents even suggested we release a planner format that’s compatible with Livescribe and Anoto (a similar technology I’ve not seen in person).

With the caveat that I have no idea how easy or difficult this would be, I’m curious to know if you agree. Do you use Livescribe? Would you like a Quo Vadis planner or notebook that’s compatible with it?

Oh, and speaking of our planner survey… if you haven’t already taken it, we’d love to get your opinion! It’ll be online here through the end of the month.

8 Comments

1. paul

01/26/2012   11:50AM

YES!!! I have gone to the extreme of making my own custom notetaking system by combining the Livescribe paper with M by Staples – a customizable notebook system.

• Vickey

02/06/2012   12:36PM

I’ve recently purchased a Livescribe pen and ran across the M by Staples system as well and have been trying to create my own notebook combining the two. I’d love to hear/see what you’ve done or any suggestions you have.

2. Ange

01/26/2012   12:57PM

I tried and reviewed the Livescribe and I thought it was fun and novel, but not all together practical for my needs. I suspect largely in part because of the limited selection of paper products compatible with it. I would definitely reconsider if y’all were making products that worked with Livescribe!

3. Zen Student

01/27/2012   13:18PM

I tried to adapt to the LiveScribe. The concept is very interesting, but there were two issues I just couldn’t get past:

1) It’s ballpoint only. Ballpoint is my very last choice: Fountain pen, rollerball, mechanical pencil, jabbing my finger and writing in blood, and then, very last, ballpoint.
    2) Proprietary paper. Yes, I understand the reason. No, I don’t understand why they don’t produce a wider variety of products.

The ballpoint issue (and BAD ballpoint at that) was the showstopper for me.

ZS

4. Ange

01/27/2012   15:22PM

I agree with Zen Student. The ballpoint ink wasn’t even on par with my cheesiest novelty pen!

5. Andreas Reinhold

02/01/2012   05:29AM

I was able to get a much better writing experience with my Livescribe by using Zebra refills.

I love the idea of having a decent planner with Livescribe paper to use.

• Vickey

02/06/2012   12:39PM

Would LOVE to know which Zebra refill you found to work with the Livescribe pens. A model or part number would be GREAT!

• Liz

03/05/2012   07:23AM

I would also love to know which refills you’ve adapted! I think a planner for the livescribe would be great… I was just thinking of this, so I hoped online and found your question =)