Do you use an ink blotter?

Posted October 6, 2011 by
in Pens, Paper & People | 8 comments »

Quill etc

Sometimes, when a piece of paper doesn’t absorb all the ink you try to lay down, that doesn’t mean it’s not fountain pen friendly. The paper in our Journal 21, for example, is modeled after old ledger paper. The goal is to be thin and strong, with no feathering or bleed through. Frustrated by how long it takes your ink to dry? The solution is simple: blotting paper.

I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t tried this old technique — I usually just wait till things dry — but I’ve always been curious about it. I love the looks of those antique ink blotters, and have been thinking about getting one… even if it does threaten to add to the clutter on my desk!

Do you use an ink blotter?

8 Comments

1. Palimpsest

10/06/2011   10:11AM

I find that a rolling blotter is sometimes useful. http://www.etsy.com/listing/67960604/ink-blotter-rolling-pin-or-rolling-ruler

2. Dave Pawson

10/06/2011   10:57AM

Yep. Lots of years ago with a dip pen (school)
    More recently with a ‘rocker’.

“Does what it says on the tin”..
    and keeps the page as I intended it to be :-)

3. LM

10/06/2011   14:06PM

I have a rocking blotter at home and keep blotting paper in my desk drawer at work, but I’ve rarely had to use them. I tend to prefer finer nibs that don’t put down as much ink.

4. TubbyMike

10/06/2011   20:45PM

I use blotting paper but I’ve been toying with the idea of a rocker for some time now. Herbin make a nice one and I look out for ones in antique markets, but they turn up very rarely.

5. Julie (O-kami)

10/06/2011   23:37PM

Yup – I have a rocker blotter. But often a loose piece of paper does the trick.

6. Ginigin

10/11/2011   14:33PM

I used to use another piece of paper to soak up slow drying ink, but then someone gave me a rocking blotter. Now I have to find paper for it, but it’s nice. However, if the ink is really slow and thick, it will sometimes transfer when you don’t want it to, as will paper. Black Swan in an italic nib needs several sheets of paper.

7. Mike

07/26/2014   16:04PM

So the rolling/rocking blotter works in tandem with another piece of paper to dry the newly inked original?